- How many books of the Bible did John write?
- What was John’s relationship to Jesus?
- What did God call John to be?
Deuteronomy Survey (J.B Philips)
- The generation which experienced redemption from Egypt was now dead.
- Joshua, Caleb and Moses alone remained
- But Moses would soon die
- Moses shared 10 sermons to enable and equip the people for what was to come next as they aim to conquer Canaan
- There are 4 looks in book (backward look, inward look, forward loop and upward look)
- The History of Israel - The Backward Look (1-3)
- A look back at Kadesh-Barnea, Israel first heard about the giants
- Fear of giants brought spiritual paralysis
- The Holiness of Israel - The Inward Look (4-11)
- Moses warns Israel about forgetting the law
- Reminding them that the Promised Land rested on making God the centre of their lives
- Moses set before them blessings and cursings
- The Heritage of Israel - The Forward Look (12-30)
- This was the precepts and principals for their lives in Canaan
- Not falling into adultery
- The Hero of Israel - The Upward Look (31-34)
- Moses last words to Israel
- His prophetic vision, song and his burial
- Deuteronomy ends with Joshua’s taking the helm from Moses
John the Person
- John wrote 5 books of the Bible
- John was a disciple - the son of Zebedee (Mark 1:19-20)
- He was an apostle and part of Jesus inner circle
The Book of 1 John
- Theme: Salvation meets reality
- It emphasizes practical living, what it looks like and what it’s not
- It also highlights the importance of relationships and fellowship
- know appears 30 times in the KJB
- Why I chose this book?
- the foundations of the gospel
- reflecting on one’s own salvation (Ph 2:12)
- understanding what being saved should look like to God and others
- don’t lose heart in Jesus Christ, because parents, church or others around you betray it’s truths
My Testimony of God’s Providence Despite
- All have struggles - if life is anything it’s hardship
- Born with an absent father
- Mother took me to church - Sunday school
- Well taught, attended many churches, heard the gospel many times
- Mum died when I was 11.
- Plenty of oppurtunity to ask, is God real?
- No more so, then moving into a home cold, without God, but caring enough to provide a home with clothing.
- Attended church - it was just routine, God was routine.
- But when I had no one, God became a friend.
- Life was hard. Abusive guardian. Never to me.
- Goal in life, to escape. I didn’t have truth, but God was working providentially.
- Led me out, led me to a church. Got saved.
- Took me a while to give my life over, because I lacked truth, the Word in me.
- Eventually God straightened, did lots of preaching, teaching, street evangelism and handed outs 1000s of tracts during world cup.
- Then I was lonely, gave up on finding someone.
- Then God provided yet again with my wife at 30.
- Then God gave me 3 kids.
3 Parts of 1 John 1
- Part One: (1 John 1:1-4) - The work of Jesus Christ
- vs. 1 Christ was hidden
- vs. 2 Christ is manifest
- vs. 3 Christ is the centre of our fellowship
- Read vs. 4 - Joy is vital and the how is shared in this book
- One of the best ways to experience fullness of joy
- Part Two: We have a responsibility. Immediately tied to joy is responsibility.
- We are most miserable when we focus on ourselves
- What I need, what I deserve, me me me.
- Part Three: The Five “If we” Contrasts
- The Litmus test for our salvation