Structuring the message
- Let the power of the “words” of God, steer the message and what needs to be said
- Keep it short. You are using other’s time. Treat it with respect.
- Try aim for a 3 point outline (1 -> 1.1, 1.2, 2-> 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc)
- At the start, state the problem or tension
- Move through to the body, then make a call to action
- Read and re-read your portion of scripture (10 times)
- Pray for the Lord’s illumination
- Pray for the day of it’s delivery and open hearts
- Make it practical, not theoretical
- Don’t form your own thoughts, but Holy Spirit led from the Word of God
- On the day, try to start off by settling into the pulpit, read or pray first.
- Practice, practice, practice - at a minimal, know the entire outline of by heart
- Try focus your memory, around the key ideas and not necessarily each word